(Helpful Hint #1: Click pictures to see larger versions)




Wednesday, June 20, 2007

06/20/07





I am having fun trying to grow a breed of sunflowers called Mammoth Greystripes in a nook in the back of the house. I obtained the seeds at Whole Foods, thinking that it was merely supposed to result in a sunflower of larger diameter, but evidently it is of height as well – these wonderful monsters can grow as high as 10-12 feet!

I estimate the age of this group of towering brutes to be about 43 days, and the tallest of them is about 35”. So for you math buffs out there, that averages to around roughly .813 inches/day.

I think there’s a bit of a race going on; I had named one of the flowers Grond, after a character in the Lord of the Rings, but I think another flower was a bit chuffed by that and unexpectedly shot up to be first place in the height category.